Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy Christmas

Happy Holidays everyone! My break has been great so far. When I've had time, I've been at the barn working with Morrissey on ground manners. She is a smart girl, because she's got most of it down. Backing up has been the hardest thing for her. She still doesn't do it in a straight line, but at least she is going backwards.

At first, I was afraid that the training was hurting our relationship a little. She wasn't as eager to see me as she used to be, and she seemed quite a bit less affectionate. Regardless of her pouting, I stuck to my guns and I'm glad I did. Today when I was with her, she was her normal sweet self, as affectionate as ever. I can tell that my new leadership role is earning her respect and her trust. I was leading her by the terror-pigs and one of them snorted loudly. She normally would have jumped a mile, but I placed my hand on her and she barely even flinched. I left feeling accomplished!

In goaty news, I've decided to start making handmade goat-milk soap. My doelings still aren't born, much less in milk, but I'm going to start none the less. My first batches will be made with water. When I get the hang of that, I'm moving on to milk. My dry, itchy, winter skin can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Glad you're having a great time w/ your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you two are making strides!!! Keep it up, come spring you'll be #1 team mates.
    My brother makes goatsmilk soap, I have VERY dry skin, the soap really makes a differance. He doesn't have goats so buys it canned and uses distilled water. He said using the distilled water rather than tap, makes a huge differance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jamie - wanted to just tell you I've decided to stop following your blog (and Susan's from above also!). Just wanted to say it has absolutely nothing to do with you or your blog, but more to do with both of you reactivating my desire to try riding again. and at this point in my life I think I need to stay on the ground. Your horses sound lovely and addictive. I need to avoid the temptation and concentrate on the critters I have and leave my lack of riding ability in the dust (at least for now).

    So just wanted to say good luck to you in your farmish tendancies! I encourage you to follow your dreams (and it sounds like you are well on your way!!!) God bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teswisgirl I'm sorry to hear that we're losing you, but I do understand what you mean. Good luck with your current animals!

    Susan, thanks for the encouragement and how cool that your brother makes gm soap. What got him into it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that things are working out for your and Morrissey. I wish you and your family - two and four-legged - a Happy New Year!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete