Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shave and a Hair Cut

Today was a very productive day. First, Chris and I headed up to my school to pack up most of my classroom. I'm a self-diagnosed children's book hoarder. The weight of my classroom library has reached 'husband has to help move it' status. As soon as we got home and unloaded it, I headed out to Tractor Supply to pick up some clippers for the goats. 
This was only my second ever visit to Tractor Supply and it did not go well. To say the smell was overwhelming is quite the understatement. I had my hands covering my mouth and nose so that I wouldn't faint. I don't have the words to describe how awful it was. The problem is that it was a smell unlike any smell I've ever encountered. It wasn't plant or animal based. It was some sort of chemical. Whatever the source, who would put that smell in their car?!  
I'm not a wimp when it comes to smells. I've spent a fair amount of time around diary goat bucks, it wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't more than I could handle. Once, my bulldog, Coli, got sprayed by a skunk.  I lived in an apartment. Imagine a full on skunk spray in 900 square feet. I even handled that. Tractor Supply is worse.
To make matters worse, the clippers were in a locked case. Luckily, I found an employee before my lungs imploded and I made it out alive. 

Clippers in tow, I headed out to the barn. I bathed the goats, let them dry, and started to clip them. Five hours later, I had successfully transfered some of the hair from two of my goats to myself. I glued most of it on with dirt and sweat. Seriously though, I think they look pretty good since I don't have a milking stand yet, and they are only babies and have never seen or even imagined a set of clippers. They were tied to the fence and scared to death, but we made it through. I'll finish Valencia and Leda and get started on Sandra tomorrow. Feast your eyes on my partially clipped show goats!

4 comments:

  1. And what a lovely little goat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look beautiful - I'm impressed!
    I love Tractor Supply, or Big R or any 'farm store'. I wonder what the odor was - maybe fertilizer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were the goats getting spiffied up for anything special or just their summer cuts? I wonder if it was fertilizer also. There is one isle in a feed store here that I can't walk anywhere near. It literally takes my breath away. Just bags of yard fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure. I know that fertilizer smell from walmart and stores like that. It was similar but way stronger. My husband went to a different tractor supply and reported no stink. Hopefully, it was a one time thing. =)

    The girls were getting ready for a show. We went today. It was so fun!

    ReplyDelete