Thursday, November 4, 2010

Goats

Today I was offered a goat. Most people would be shocked to know that I did, in fact, turn this offer down. It was a former 4H project Boer goat. For those of you not as well-versed in goat terminology as I am, a Boer goat is a breed of goat commonly used for meat. I call them meat goats, though they are not the only breed used for meat. In my past dealings with goats, these are the white ones with brown heads that you don't get attached to, since their owners are going to either auction them or eat them in a matter of months.

Since they are rarely long for this world, the Boers I've met tend to be... less than tame. Typically, I would have purchased this goat just to save it from being eaten. The owner was selling it for over 100 dollars and that is a little rich for my blood. Under 50 and I might have had myself a goat. From what I understand the goat is already older than the preferred eating age, so hopefully someone will buy it for a breeding program. I'm going to worry about it none-the-less. If you want a pricey meat goat, let me know.

I'm not one to judge, but I can't imagine why someone would want to eat a goat. To me, eating a goat would be like eating a dog. It makes me shudder to even think of it. Obviously, all my goat dealings have been of the dairy variety. As much as I couldn't eat a goat, I have no trouble eating goat cheese. There are few things in this world as delicious as goat cheese. My goat breed of choice is Nubian. I love Nubian goats with their long drooping ears and crazy personalities. Since they are a dairy breed, Nubians are typically bottle fed as babies. Bottle fed goats are tame and docile and like big floppy-eared dogs. As you can see in the photo, they are adorable!

In high school, four of my six show goats were Nubians. I was quite successful in the show ring with my doe Misty. We even got Reserve Grand Champion at Houston Livestock Show. I fully intend on starting a new herd, as soon as I can find a place to board them. I'm finding that while horses are not a problem, not a lot of suburban areas are fond of goats.

Side note: I was also offered a fancy mouse to add to my class pet collection. I accepted. The number rises...

No comments:

Post a Comment