Sunday, November 28, 2010

Happy Trails and Happy Tails

My Future Baby Goat's Mama
I've decided to move Morrissey to a different stable. It was a really hard decision to make, and hopefully I've made the right one. The new barn is more affordable in the long run, and closer to my house. I will also have much less competition for the resources available (the arena.) There are things I will miss at my current stable, but I think moving is the best plan for now.

In dairy goat news, the new stable has a perfect goat pen that I can afford to rent. So I've selected two different Nubian breeders in my area and I'm putting reservations down on two doelings. They should be here by summer. I'd like to get a milker as well, but having a goat to milk every morning and night is a big commitment. I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet.


My family was with me on the horse, but they all think I'm nuts to be looking at goats as well. What can I say? Teachers can be goat showing horse riders on the side... can't they?

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today. Morrisey is gorgeous.Can't wait to read more about your critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really enjoy your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog from the Texas Blogging Gals new listing. Farmish is SO one of the words I'd use, so I had to come check you out!

    I've read your older posts. Please please PLEASE promise me (and your husband and family) that you'll take it slow in the life-changing area! Trust me. I can SO relate to the fire that gets lit inside you for horses, farm animals, land, barns, etc. But it gets very very expensive. And with your 4 dogs and now horse, the slightest thing going wrong can cost thousands. I totally relate to your predicament of being "half in/half out" but take the winter to spend time with your horse before buying too much more. Just friendly advice - no criticism intended. Like you said, giving time and attention to each animal is more difficult as you add them, and pretty soon your time will be all gone. And dang it if that work stuff doesn't eat up a bunch of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a great point! I've always been bad about rushing things. My husband and I have had a few talks and decided that Morrissey and two show goats is going to be it for at least two years. After that I think I'll get another horse and we'll be done. The goats won't be here until the summer, and I'll be off since I'm a teacher. I'm trying to keep things under control! =)

    ReplyDelete