Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Confession

I'll admit it, I've been avoiding my blog. Honestly, having Morrissey on the market doesn't put me in the blogging mood. Since the first prospective buyers, there hasn't been any interest. You'd think that this would be disheartening, but you'd be wrong. She is still on the market, but I'm really in no hurry to sell her. Selling a horse is just no fun. Even selling a mean horse who doesn't like people is hard. Morrissey is not mean and does like people, so it just makes it even harder.

For the first few days she was on the market, I kind of avoided working with her. I was trying to prepare myself emotionally, but it just made me feel worse. Instead, I decided to try ground driving with her. I've never even seen it done, but I decided it was worth a shot. I tied both ends of her lunge line to her halter and stood behind her. I don't know any driving cues, so I just said walk... and she did. I turned her and stopped her with my "reins" successfully. It was fun! She didn't like it when I flapped the reins gently against her. I think that may be punishment in driving language, or maybe she was just being her normal self.

I'd really love to try driving. I have a huge arena at my boarding stables, and another huge riding area that I could use as well. It seems like a lot of fun. My fear of riding is mostly about sitting on the horse, feeling the lurching movements and feeling like I'm out of control. Falling is also a huge aspect of my fear. It seems like those things wouldn't really be involved with driving.I'm not afraid of dealing with horses, in fact, I love being around them. I'm just not sure I can allow myself to make another huge investment just to find that my fear gets in the way again. I could take lessons, but again, that is a huge investment. So much to think about.

In goaty news, my doeling from TLC Farms was born. I'll post pictures and details as soon as I get them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I really understand that detachment thing. I think I'm doing that with my house and maybe even with my neighbors.
    I haven't driven much, but the cue I use is to take up the reins, get contact, release and say, "Walk on". I don't flap reins on the horses - I was told that is only done in the movies! Your explanation (punishment in driving language)is great! When I want to trot, I again take up more contact, release and give the command.
    I can't wait to see your new doeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, you might enjoy Stephanie Burns book "Move closer, stay longer" in regards to your confidence issues. It really helped me... A great source for driving (Naturally!) is Nate Bowers. His website is http://www.bowersnaturaldriving.com/

    Best wishes!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete