Sunday, January 23, 2011

Working It

Last week I got to go to the barn all of zero times between the weather and grades being due. To make up for it, Morrissey and I worked out Saturday and Sunday. Chris came along Sunday to document both of us chubby girls doing something active. 

First, we got in a lot of leading practice. She's doing really well with respecting my space, and following my cues. I am still having a lot of trouble with backing up. I shake the lead and she looks at me. I shake it more and she looks some more. I flap my elbows and chicken walk, she seems to want to rear. I can easily get her to back up, by pushing her chest or just applying backward pressure with the lead, but I'd rather do it with more distance between us. Morrissey is a good horse and I know she wants to do what I ask. That leads me to believe that I am asking incorrectly.  I've decided to just lay off on the shaking to back up thing until I can get Dot out to show me my mistake. Hopefully I can have her out in February.

Now that Morrissey respects me, the lunging is going really well. I suspected that she knew voice commands, and today this was confirmed. She walks when I say walk, she trots when I say trot. Canter didn't work, but lope did. Like many drafty horses, Morrissey is a reluctant loper. If I ask, I'm guaranteed to get some attitude. Being the chicken that I am, I rarely ask. Today I was feeling confident so I asked. She bucked, I continued to ask and she cantered quite a bit. I left feeling exhilarated! I love this pony so much!

2 comments:

  1. Love that last pic with attitude :) Very jealous that you get to wear short sleeves. I'm a tad bit tired of bundling up

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! It was about 65 today. I'll be jealous of you in a few months when it is 98 in the shade here. =/

    ReplyDelete