Friday, February 4, 2011

Farmish and Coldish

I don't know how people handle actual winters.  In Houston, we don't really have winter, therefore we don't have winter infrastructure. Every few years we'll get a cold front, but this year is like nothing I've seen before. We didn't get snow here, but we did get ice. Even Morrissey's water keeps freezing over. I would have taken a picture of her 50 gallon, hay infused, water flavored slushie but my hand was too cold after breaking it up for her.

My suburban side is coming out, I feel like a frozen fish out of water. The more farmish people in my life are constantly reassuring me that chubby, shaggy, draft horses can handle this weather. They must be right because Morrissey looks thoroughly unimpressed by the whole ordeal. I promise I'll try to update with a photo, the next time I venture out to check on her. 

My goats are due this month. I can't wait to meet them! I feel for the goat farmers delivering in this weather. Hopefully, it will warm up in time for them! I joined a Farmish Link List! Check it out!

5 comments:

  1. It is no fun dealing with frozen water I know. We’ve had days below zero and had to change ours 5 or 6 times a day. I can’t wait to see your babies. Are you going to sell them or keep them? So glad you linked up with Farm Friend Friday--glad to meet you and I’m now following your blog.
    TGIF, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm buying two baby nubian goats this year. I plan on showing them and making soap once they freshen. Thanks for having Farm Friend Friday and for following, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want winter, come on up to Iowa and join us! We'll show you how to do winter! Of course, that's why my kids aren't due until mid-March, and then not all of them. Hope you manage to stay warm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog title - that alone attracted me, but I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart thinking edenhills! Thanks pondside! Welcome I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete