Sunday, February 6, 2011

Memory Lane - Misty

Misty at her first show in 1998
With my new horse and new goats on the way, I've been thinking a lot about my past. This is the first installment of a short series about the animals that started this crazy journey. Fortunately, my mother found some old pictures that I can share with you.

Misty was my first goat. I wanted to show an animal in FFA, that wouldn't have to go to sale for butchering. There were two choices: cows or dairy goats. I chose goats. Goats had not been shown in my school's FFA for quite some time, if ever.  The teachers were not really excited about the idea of allowing me to raise them. Taking no for an answer was never in my nature, so I convinced 5 of my friends to show dairy goats with me and we were official. On my own I decided on a breed, and found local breeders.


Misty Tri-Club Show in 1999
We headed out to Kay Kloecker's farm and I fell instantly in love with one of the doelings. She was a single kid and much younger than the others. I immediately named her after Misty of Chincoteague and when she was finally weaned, I went and picked her up. Soon after, we started a fairly successful show career. Little Misty did pretty well at major shows Like The Houston Livestock Show, and the Ft Worth Stock Show. I was very proud and thoroughly enjoyed the showing process. 



Misty  Ft Worth Reserve Grand Nubian Junior Doe 200
When I was 18 years old and just starting college, my older brother was killed by a drunk driver. My family and I were so overwhelmed that I ended up giving Misty and my other goats away. I truly regretted doing so, only a few years later and tried to locate my beloved goats. I had no luck getting any of them back. I've spent the last 10 years wanting to continue my passion of raising and showing diary goats. I'm so happy to finally be in a place where I can!

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy watching livestock being shown at the State fair. I am clueless when it comes to what I am watching, however.
    I'm thrilled to be able to say I know someone who has shown goats!
    The baby sitter I used for my boys had a goat named Ruthie. She was very spoiled and as she grew larger, very hard to handle. That is just about my sum total knowledge of goats - pretty pitiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is more than I knew when I started. I just liked their ears!

    ReplyDelete