Saturday, February 26, 2011

A few steps forward...

My husband and I headed out to the barn today to continue working on my fear of riding. Everything was going pretty well. I was able to mount bareback, sit for a while and dismount without freaking out. Things took a bit of a bad turn when I convinced Chris to hop up. Morrissey was fine with me, but crow hopped a bit with Chris. Once she calmed down, I stupidly convinced him to try to take a few steps on her. She bucked for the first time ever and he came off. I got on her right after, so she wouldn't learn to buck to get out of work. I then worked her on the lunge line, and then mounted and dismounted again.  Chris wasn't hurt, but he was pretty annoyed. He isn't a huge fan of horses in the first place. I may have lost my barn buddy for a while. I'm upset with Morrissey for acting up, but I'm sure that this is nothing that Dot and I can't get through.

6 comments:

  1. So, what thoughts do you have as to why Morrissey would object to Chris? It seems illogical. Was he sitting too far back? Was he hurting her in any way (something in his pocket?)?
    I'm glad you got back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could have been how he was sitting, it was his first time ever on a horse at all. She is a pony, so maybe he was too heavy for her. It could have also been a combination of his weight, balance and seat being off. She is also really rusty on being ridden, though she is worked with often. She knows and likes Chris. I am pretty confused about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting back on immediately. It’s scary. I don’t have horses but I’ve been thrown off before. I got back on myself and I was scared but glad I did. I’m sure the horse learned a good lesson today :)
    Glad you linked up with Farm Friend Friday again. Good to have you!
    Amy at Verde Farm

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I rode a horse, and even longer since I trained one. It certainly takes a lot of patience. I'm sure you'll get your barn buddy back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the goat pictures on the sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy I can't figure out how to get the whole list to show. I was also a day late, sorry! Millie, there should be more coming over the next several months. I got Chris to come back to the barn already so maybe I haven't lost my buddy. =)

    ReplyDelete