Friday, February 18, 2011

Spa Day


After what seems like months (or at least a couple of weeks) of freezing cold temperatures, it finally warmed up enough for me to bathe Morrissey yesterday. She is a shaggy beast right now, so the bath was pretty time consuming. She was not a huge fan of the process. Months ago, her fidgeting would have scared me to death, but it didn't phase me at all. I really love this wonderful level of comfort that she and I have developed. We really enjoy each other's company. She is such a sweet girl!


Morrissey inspecting her former mane
While I had her hair wet, I decided to trim her bridle path. I haven't bought clippers yet, so I used scissors. It was nerve wracking sitting there looking at her gorgeous mane and thinking about taking scissors to it. I'm happy with the end result though and it is much easier to tack her up without her thick mane in the way. I also think it makes her look much more sleek.

I used a sweat scraper on her for at least an hour trying to get her dry, but it wasn't happening. As soon as I put her into her paddock, she promptly rolled in the dirt. It is ok though, because when I checked on her today she looked great. I can't believe how soft and silky her mane looked. I can't wait to see my girl in her sleek summer coat.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, you should link up with Farm Friend Friday--great post and beautiful horse and don’t you love how they go straight for the dirt :) LOL
    Happy weekend,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty, pretty girl. Kind of jealous, of that long mane, & your weather. We're back to below freezing with lots of wind today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love washing the boys' manes and tails. I use Mane 'n Tail whitener and their flaxen locks almost glow (for a few days, at any rate)!
    Right now they are both scrungy. I wish we had a warm enough day for a bath. I wouldn't even mind if they rolled afterward, like Morrissey - silly girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verde, are we supposed to do it again each Friday? I'm sorry. I will certainly link up this week. Dreaming, I have been asking around about whitener, because Morrissey has a dark tail, does it harm the hair? Thanks Susan, I hope it warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie - today on my blog I decided to show some pictures of the grunge and compare that to an earlier photo of a clean mane and tail. I am so jealous of your clean horse!
    To my knowledge the whitener doesn't hurt the hair. I used to use laundry bluing. Since the whitener comes out purply-blue, I assume it has the same stuff in it. If you don't rinse it well you will see a hint of blue!!! Anyway, I don't use it often and my horses' manes and tails are incredibly thick - no seeming impact from the whitener!

    ReplyDelete